|The participants watching the keynote|
|A quick note in front of a white board full of ideas|
At the beginning of day two, we continued on making artwork and got to polish up a bunch of little details. I went wild with the parallax field I made for another game (thanks, Orion Trial!). We had a few people that weren't involved in development do some playtesting and we got some valuable feedback from them. After adjusting the difficulty, we went to the final frontier: Sound. Although it was getting close to the deadline, I decided that adding sound would make it much more immersive, so I pushed to get some in before we had to get it into a package to submit.
Ok, enough of the blow by blow, let's get down to the good the bad and the ugly!
- Polish! I never thought I'd be able to polish within the 48 hour time frame. It made a huge difference.
- Playtesting. I hear this often, but this has been one of the few times that I was able to sit back and playtest the game and somewhat balance it before submitting it.
- Audio. Getting it into the game was a last second thing, but it added a bunch to the game.
- Audio. It makes it into this category too, since we didn't have time to match it up to the timing that we needed and it shows, especially when the ship is exploding.
- Losing Work Space. This one didn't really effect our group, but the other group we collaborated with had to migrate in the middle of the jam, making it much harder on them.
- No internet access. At the beginning of day one, we had a router issue at the TinkerMill and we lost internet access for a vast majority of the group. I never thought that I would have a problem working without internet access, but I quickly realized that I need to have more intimate familiarity with the libraries I'm using. Lesson learned.
- Artwork. It's not fair to put this all on Adam, since he had little experience with artwork, but the project dictated that we needed to dedicate one person to the artwork and I had already started coding for the game instead of making artwork and letting Adam and Brian tackle the code.
- Management. This ties to the artwork point, but I should have played to everyone's strengths instead of just diving into one portion that I was most comfortable with. Although I'm more comfortable with code over art, Adam's talents were misused this jam. I should have recognized that early on and reassigned him. It would have been a totally different game, but that is not a bad thing.
I was extremely pleased with how Space Mashers turned out, even with my missteps and obliviousness. If you haven't tried it yet, you can find it here. Tell me what you think of it in the comments!