Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Chomping at the Bit

So, I've gotten the game jam fever and couldn't wait until the next Ludum Dare.  I know; the next Dare is only two weeks away.  The thing is, though, that I've been really inspired by some of the theme ideas.  That's not to say that there are bad ideas, there are a ton of them.  The gems that I do find going through the slaughter are worth the sifting, though. I have a horrible bias towards themes that can lend themselves to either fantasy or sci-fi wrappers. As I worked my way through the slaughter, I thought to myself, "man! I really want to start jamming on a game!"  And that's how I ended up starting the GBJAM.

The Game Boy Jam is an interesting one.  Instead of the focus of updates being on the website itself, it instead leverages Twitter for the vast majority of it's updates.  I'm not quite sure that I'm a fan of this, since that means yet another social media platform is scraping my information.  I don't know how, but Twitter scraped my G-Mail for people to follow.  Grrr.  That's a rant for another day, however.  I'm here to talk about the jam, not the social media aspect.

From what I can tell, the jam isn't as popular as the Ludum Dare (duh!). I do see a lot more cross pollination, though.  A few users have been religious about updating and now I've seen several different versions of what a 3D game would look like using a Game Boy screen. Weird.

Another departure from the norm is the time allotted.  Ten days.  Yeah, that's right, ten days.  Wow, that's a lot of time.  It almost hits the point where I'm able to put off stuff until the last day.  Not that I would do that (sarcasm).  This is a departure, since the jam now starts to bridge the divide between a quick burst and a slow burn.  I'm not sure that it's good for me, personally, but I am giving it the good old college try.  We will see how it turns out.

The last part of this puzzle is my team: Me.  Yep, that's it.  It's just me this time around.  I've had a blast working with others every game jam, but I feel like I need to be able to jam alone.  So, that's exactly what I'm going to do this time around.  And yes, I don't have much to show for it except these puddles chasing a red one around.



Now if I can get used to the whole Twitter feed for updates....

- Chandler

No comments:

Post a Comment