In preparation of another Ludum Dare, I am reposting my post-mortem from the last Ludum Dare. To those who are joining for the jam or compo, good luck!
Well, It's been a week since we submitted our game, Break A Leg,
and it's given us time to think about what we have done. It was a
blast to make and I personally am proud of what we had made. That being
said, I feel like a proper post-mortem is in order. Let's do this!
the game mechanics the first night. Most of the Ludum Dares I get lost
in the details of making the game that I don't stop to think of whether
my game will actually be *fun* or not. So, playtesting the game
mechanics night one made me much more confident about the direction of
I had backup for programming! This one was personally
huge for me, since it gave me more time to think about the structure of
the code and, consequently, make better code. A larger group also let
us have some backup on each area of work. The extra help on art and
code made a much better project.
I know this is a common item on the bad list, but having some extra
time would have been immense. Everyone had work on Monday, so the last
day of the jam really wasn't an option. We worked as late as possible
and got a lot done in the final few hours, but we didn't have time to
get the audio that we recorded into the game.
Split work areas.
Since we had a larger group than expected join us at the TinkerMill, we
had to move into the main area for the Dare. We had the people doing
art and sound working in one area and the programming group working in
another. That led to a few issues with user interfaces and
misunderstandings about what the vision of the game would be. Although
we mitigated confusion by planning thoroughly the first night, some
details fell through the cracks.
to move into the central area. The main area was quite a bit louder
than the conference room we were initially going to use, so it affected
how focused we were on the game. It wasn't a huge deal, it just made it
take longer to get done.
Not participating in the warmup
weekend. I was a bit rusty on the coding side, so it took me longer to
get moving on the code than it should have been.
the classroom. I think that this would solve the split work area
issues, along with the noisier work area. This is easy enough to solve,
Practice! Working on games is not a short term endeavor, so not practicing the art really takes it's toll between the Dares.
As always, it was a blast to make this game and we look forward to jamming again next time.